https://www.duolingo.com/chinde01

A slightly different way to learn in Duolingo

Hej,

I wonder if there might be an option somewhere to only translate from Swedish to English?

Being slightly dyslexic, I am finding the written Swedish is where I am making many stupid mistakes and this is slowing down my learning speed. I could be focusing on improving my understanding of the spoken language first then working backwards to the written side.

Is this possible and what do you think?

3 years ago

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/landsend
landsend

It is not possible now, and I would be surprised if it ever will be.

For most people using the target learning is the most efficient learning method. Translating from the target language into your native language is not that useful. So if the discussions on Duolingo were organized or searchable you could find a lot of requests for reducing the amount of that direction and increasing the amount of native to target.

Your medical condition aside are the "many stupid mistakes" exactly the thing to eliminate by repeated training. I don't know how to target a language learning tool for this condition or how to make a tool like Duolingo customizable so that it works well then. But you need to avoid that people just turn off the seemingly annoying parts. Because often enough those are the ones that really teach you something. E.g. you can turn off sound and microphone now. You can do a course completely without ever speaking a word or even hearing a single one. That is ok for certain use cases but certainly saying you mastered a language course then is a bit far fetched.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/chinde01

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, and not because I'm offended in anyway, dyslexia is not a 'medical condition'. It is a 'learning difficulty' or to be more accurate it means that I learn in a way which is significantly different to how the general populous learn and are taught. It is the 'one size fits all' attitude which labels it a 'learning difficulty' rather than a 'learning difference'. It also means that the shape of my brain and how it processes information is significantly different, it is not something which can be medicated for or changed. The stupid mistakes I make really are stupid and don't have much to do with learning a language.

I don't particularly want to beat the course either, I just want to get the understanding and being understood verbally working first (as you would when you first start to learn language as a child). I am surprised that so many language courses do come at it from such a formulaic stand point, but I guess that they do have to cater for a majority rather than a minority.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/landsend
landsend

Sorry for choosing the wrong term; English is not my native language.

Everyone learns different but the courses here are made for the "normal" learner. "Normal" here is meant empirically (most), not normative (should). I am not happy about some things too, e.g. I would prefer to have access to every skill from the start without the need to unlock later ones, even if this means to look up different concepts and vocabulary at the same time. But I am aware that this is not a suitable way for most learners, it would lead to high quitting rates due to frustration.

I hope that there will be advanced learning tools that allow one to tailor a course to one's specific needs while not neglecting the general goal. When a comparable goal is and can be reached on different ways than the specific way doesn't matter at all. I hope, no, I am certain that the tools will evolve in that direction in the foreseeable future. Things like Duolingo are great but they are just the first little baby steps towards a really personalized learning experience.

3 years ago
Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.