1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Georgian lesson: Phrases

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Tamuna10

Georgian lesson: Phrases

Today we will learn simple Georgian phrases, so if you ever travel to Georgia it will be easier for you to communicate :)

გამარჯობა (Gamarjoba)-Hello

დილა მშვიდობისა (Dila mshvidobisa)-Good morning (დილა (Dila) means "Morning", and მშვიდობისა (Mshvidobisa)-of peace, so literally it means "morning of peace", similar to "good morning")

შუადღე მშვიდობისა (Shuadghe mshvidobisa)-Good afternoon (შუადღე (Shuadghe) means "Afternoon")

საღამო მშვიდობისა (Saghamo mshvidobisa)-good evening (საღამო (Saghamo) means "Evening")

როგორ ხარ(თ)? (Rogor khar(t)?)-How are you? (You already know the verb ხარ(თ) (khar(t))-you are. "როგორ" (Rogor) means "how", so როგორ ხარ(თ) (Rogor khar(t)) means "How are you". "თ" (T) is in brackets because "ხართ" (Khart) is either plural or polite form of ხარ (Khar))

კარგად, შენ (თქვენ)? (Kargad, shen (tqven)?)-Fine, and you? (Please pay attention on the adverb კარგად (Kargad)-well (fine). The adjective კარგი (Kargi)-good, is in adverbial case, კარგად (Kargad)-well (fine). As you remember, if you put Georgian adjectives in adverbial case, they will turn into adverbs. That's why the case is called "Adverbial" :) შენ (Shen) and თქვენ (Tqven) both mean "you", but if you're talking to a group of people or want to be polite, always use თქვენ (Tqven))

მეც კარგად, გმადლობ(თ) (Mets kargad, gmadlob(t))-I'm fine too, thanks ("ც" (Ts) suffix means "too", it's always merged with the noun. In გმადლობ(თ) (Gmadlob(t))-thanks, I put "თ" (T) in brackets because "გმადლობთ" (Gmadlobt)-thanks, is either plural or polite form of "გმადლობ" (Gmadlob)-thanks, so if you want to be polite, always use "გმადლობთ" (Gmadlobt)-thanks)

არაფრის (Arafris)-You're welcome (Some Georgians also say არაფერს (Arafers), but I personally prefer არაფრის (Arafris), as it's more polite form)

მაპატიე(თ) (Mapatie(t))-I'm sorry. ("თ" (T) is again in brackets as it indicates plural or polite form. The other form of "I'm sorry" is ბოდიში (Bodishi))

უკაცრავად (Ukatsravad)-Excuse me.

კარგი (Kargi)-Okay (Many Georgians for the polite form use კარგით (Kargit), but know that it's a mistake, because კარგი (Kargi) is an adjective, not a verb, so it doesn't use "თ" (T) suffix to indicate its politeness. Either in polite or informal form, always use კარგი (Kargi)-Okay)

კი (Ki)-Yeah (Polite form for "კი" (Ki) is "დიახ" (Diakh)-yes. Other form of "კი" (Ki) is ჰო (Ho), that Georgians often use as ხო (Kho), but it's also an impolite form. If you want to stay polite, always use "დიახ" (Diakh)-yes)

არა (Ara)-No.

ნახვამდის (Nakhvamdis)-Good bye (literally means "See you", but used in Georgian as a polite form)

ღამე მშვიდობისა (Ghame mshvidobisa)-Good night (ღამე (Ghame) means night. Other form of "good night' in Georgian is "ძილი ნებისა" (Dzili nebisa), which literally means "Wished sleep")

These are simple Georgian phrases :) Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

Link to all the posts: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/9660890

July 26, 2015

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.