1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Portuguese
  4. >
  5. "The process in this country …

"The process in this country is democratic."

Translation:O processo neste país é democrático.

October 20, 2013

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ka7th

why is "O processo neste país é democrática." not right? this was from a multiple choice

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Paulenrique

because processo is a masculine word, so you have to use "democrático".

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/guillcamp

I am simply writing to thank you for all the help you have provided to so many students in this course. I am most appreciative of the time and dedication you have devoted to this endeavor. At the beginning of the course, I decided that I would not do any of the practice exercises until I had completed all of the groups and stories. I have accomplished that and I have just completed the practice exercise for the final group. It has been a good review of the course. So, now I will have to find other ways of using and improving the Portuguese I have learned. I plan to find some Brazilian and Portuguese podcasts to listen to and I have started reading short stories from Os melhores contos brasileiros and also Portugal de perto by Nuno Ferreira. Perhaps listening to Portuguese and Brazilian songs whose lyrics are clearly enunciated would also help. I would of course love to spend some time in Brazil or Portugal, but since I will be 79 years old in just a few months, my traveling days are unfortunately coming to an end soon ---and the Covid situation doesn’t help either.

This course was probably easier for me than for most students because I have native fluency in both Spanish and English. I also know Spanish grammar very well and am fairly good in English grammar. As I went through the course, I made a mental note of the differences between Portuguese and Spanish grammar and usage. Obviously the two languages have much in common, but here are a few of the differences I noted: 1. The personal “a” is not used in Portuguese 2. The definite article doesn’t have to be used with generalizations. 3. DO NOT invert the subject and verb in questions. 4. In comparison of equality, use quanto instead of como. 5. The definite article is often used before the possessive adjective. 6. The definite article is often used before a person’s name and it does not seem rustic or despective as it would in Spanish. 7. The “a” is omitted between forms of ir and a following infinitive. 8. Use ter a + inf. instead of tener que + inf. 9. The present progressive can be used to refer to something that will happen in the future, as in English. (Ela está deixando o país em seis meses). In Spanish, this sentence would be inherently contradictory.
10. Creer and pensar trigger the subjunctive in subordinate noun clauses and neither has to be in a question or the negative form to do it. In Spanish, these verbs are normally followed by the indicative in a subordinate clause unless they are used in a question or are used in the negative. (Creo que viene mañana; ¿Crees tú que venga mañana? No, no creo que venga mañana). 11. In Portuguese, “se” can trigger the subjunctive. In Spanish, “si” can be followed by the imperfect (past) or pluperfect subjunctive in conditional sentences, but when talking about the present or future, the present indicative is normally used. The exception would be when “si” means “whether”. In that case, the present subjunctive could be used. 12. Portuguese uses the future subjunctive after Se, quando, depois que, Quem (me ajudar), etc.; In Spanish, the future subjunctive has fallen into disuse and the present subjunctive serves both as a present and as a future. The future subjunctive is common in older Spanish literature and is still seen in legal documents. 13. Lembrar works like acordarse de and not like recordar. It is used with prepositional pronouns. 14. In Portuguese, ter is more commonly used than haver as the auxiliary verb in the formation of the perfect tenses. Spanish uses forms of haber and not tener to form these tenses. 15. In general, ser and estar are used pretty much the same way in the two languages; however, there seems to be a difference regarding location. My sense is that in Portuguese, ser is used if the location is viewed as being permanent and estar is used if it is considered temporary. In Spanish, you would use estar when you are talking about the location of something regardless of whether it is temporary or permanent. The exception would be when the meaning of the verb is “to take place”, in which case ser would be used. (El edificio está en la esquina y la reunión siempre es allí).

Since I need something to keep my old brain active, I will continue to work on my Portuguese and I plan to focus on learning some Swedish in Duolingo. ¡Gracias por todo! De novo, muito obrigado e boa sorte!

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Maria696768

O que significa o processo? neste país... será o procedimento ... não sou brasileira gostaria de saber

Learn Portuguese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.