Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Mr.Smilie

Finished my first book in Español! and learned a great thing about Goosebumps

Mr.Smilie

Hello everyone! so some of you may remember (probably not but it doesn't matter) that I made a post about 3 months ago about deciding to start reading a Goosebumps book in Español, well I am happy to say that today I finished reading it! I know I took quite a while and there is fair reason for that, I started out only reading it half an hour to an hour every other day through the week and reading my normal English book on the "other" days of the week because it was kind of over whelming at first, I also started out checking myself every sentence then moved onto paragraphs and by the end of the book I was reading whole (short) chapters (unless I'd find a paragraph just plain perplexed me..) before checking myself with my English copy for those words and phrases that I just didn't get or remember, also towards the end I had read about and discovered how much easier it is to remember the new words if you read a couple pages, go back and check yourself and then RE-READ that same couple pages at the start of your next reading session, this puts those words that you didn't know so well back into your active vocab because you remember them easier with the context and if you see them again later in your reading session it's far more likely that you will remember what they mean!

also, after finishing my first book I picked up another Goosebumps (escalofríos (yes, I know "shivers") ) and started in on it, almost at once I felt like the pages LOOKED different (and not because it was the first ever HARD cover goosebumps that I'd ever seen.. hehe) it only took me a page or two to realize why. it was because the first that I had read ("sangre de monstruo" "monster blood" my personal favorite!) was in third person, so it was always "ella dice a él" o "él corrió por las escaleras" but this new one ("La maldición de la momia" "the curse of the mummies tomb") es en de persona primera, so it's going to give me more practice with the self personal pronouns with sentences like "ella me dijo" or other simular phrases as well as giving me more practice on the "yo" conjugations for words in past present and future tenses!

anyway, it was all those differently conjugated words that gave me that feeling that the pages somehow looked different and I wanted to share the discovery, just another thing to keep in mind about why one book may be harder to understand and why it's so helpful to just pick up a book and start reading!

as another side note, judging by the progress I feel that I have made from reading my first "Escalofríos" I feel fairly confident that after another couple (that I have English copies of for reference) I will be able to read one that I remember as being a good book, but only read once in English, and one that I have never read nor do I have an English copy of and I think I'll be able to understand most of the story to them! (I have also seen sentences come into understanding after having done one new lesson the night before that covered the construct.. and I feel like I'm nearing the end of my tree too!)

heh, I am most definatly rambling now and I think it's just because I am so excited about all that I have learned en el diez meses pasado gracias a DuoLingo and to share my progress with such an awesome community of language learners!

Thank you everyone that made it this far into my ramblings!

Meshach (=

3 years ago

34 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Scotchguard

In the past decade, so many more kids books have been translated into Spanish than were available previously. It's nice to have so many "easier" to read books to choose from because while reading articles about Spanish culture is nice, it does get to be a little old after awhile. A good story is a nice way to learn, even if it gives you escalofríos every now and then. Come back in a year and read the same book again and you'll be surprised at how many words you remember.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vcel10
vcel10

Ditto!

“Curiously enough, one cannot read a book; one can only reread it. A good reader, a major reader, and active and creative reader is a rereader.” - Vladimir Nabokov (Lectures on Literature)

Rereading is the most effective type of reading, especially of foreign language texts, because it offers learners the opportunity to re-think messages and see features they have not noticed in initial reading. (source: The Importance of Rereading )

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

it is great about the variety of books that you can find in Spanish! so many popular and or easy reads to choose from. I don't doubt that I will come back to it in time (after a few other books so it's not so fresh in my mind though) and I'm sure I will understand much more and struggle less than I did this time, I noticed a big difference just from the start to when I finished the book, I am understanding whole pages without much doubt of what's happening, just miss a few details here and there.. although not all of the pages are like that.. yet (=

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/winter.morning
winter.morning

Congratulations! I'm reading a book in English (I'm Spanish) and it's easier than I thought at first. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and good luck with Spanish!

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

¡De nada! ¡Gracias! y buen suerte con tus estudios de Ingles! I hope you are enjoying learning English, ¿tú has estudio comó largo? (I hope I got that close to right..)

3 years ago

winter.morning

Gracias e igualmente! Y sí, el inglés siempre me ha parecido un idioma precioso, llevo aprendiéndolo desde que era pequeña (aquí es obligatorio). ¿Cuánto tiempo llevas tú aprendiendo español?

Thanks and the same to you! And yes, English always seemed to me a beautiful language, I have been studying it since I was young (here, it's mandatory). How long have you been learning Spanish?

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

jijiji, y yo siempre pensar eso Español seria un idoma buen a comprender, pero no tengo un razon para aprender hablar y así yo no aprendi. .. cerca quince años o asi pasada, la hija de mi tia.. mi... ¡Prima! la me enseñó comó a contar por uno a seis o posiblemente diez, pero yo no recuerdo más a seis y cerca seis o ocho años pasado yo hecho una amiga con FaceBook, ella hablo un poco español y su me enseño un poco palabras. yo aprendi a contar a trenta nueve (pero lo crei estar "trente") y un poco más pero no mucho. yo no intentado aprender dura hasta diez meses pasada, cuándo yo encontro DuoLingo y yo lo utilizar todos dias desde que (bien, yo extrañar a mi cumpleaño..)

wow, I had to look up a few of those words, but I'm starting to impress myself.. at least if that's at all understandable to you.. (=

hehehe, and I always thought that Spanish was a good language to learn, be I never had a reason to learn to speak it and so I didn't. about fifteen years or so ago, the daughter of my aunt.. my.. Cousin! she taught me how to count from one to six, or possibly ten, but I didn't remember more than six, and about six or eight years ago I made a friend with FaceBook, she spoke a little Spanish and she taught me a few words. I learned to count to thirty nine (but I thought it was "trente") and a little more but not much. I didn't try hard to learn until ten months ago, when I found DuoLingo and I've used it every day since (well, I missed my birthday..)

P.S. where do you live that it's mandatory to know both English and your native tongue of Spanish?

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Nora414956

Thanks you for translating your comments. It helps me to follow the discusdion

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

no problem! (= it helps us make sure that what is understood is what was meant to be said (wouldn't want to say some idiom that is like a curse or something and have it misunderstood..) ,and that way if something should be phrased differently it can easily be spotted and corrected by someone who better understands the language. (and it gives others who don't understand it as well to learn new words easier!) part of why this language learning community is so awesome!

3 years ago

winter.morning

Sí, puedo entenderte perfectamente (si quieres que te corrija los errores también está bien). Empecé a aprender inglés desde que empecé en la escuela porque, sí, es obligatorio, pero los primeros años solo aprendes algunas palabras como "dog" o "red" no gramática (bueno, teníamos unos 4 años). De todas formas el nivel de inglés que aprendes en la escuela no es demasiado bueno y eso es por lo que después de todos estos años de aprender inglés aún cometo muchos errores. También es obligatorio estudiar francés por dos años después de los cuales es voluntario. Yo decidí continuar con ambos por mi cuenta, especialmente con el inglés, y puedo decir que mis notas han mejorado desde un 8 a un 10 (sobre 10). Además de estas lenguas extranjeras estudiamos español y (en mi caso) gallego por supuesto. ¿Vosotros no estudiáis ninguna lengua extranjera?

Yes, I can understand you perfectly (if you want me to correct the mistakes it's okay too). I started learning English since I started school, because, yes, it's mandatory, but the first years you only learn some words like "dog" or "red" not gramatik rules (well, we were about 4 years old). Anyway the level of English you learn at school it's not too good and that's why I have a lot of mistakes after all this years learning English. It's also mandatory study French for two years after which it's voluntary. I decided to continue with both of them by my own, especially with English, and I can say that my grades have improved from a 8 to a 10 (out of 10). Besides these foreign languages we study Spanish and (in my case) Galician of course. You don't study any foreign language?

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Bien! estoy utilizar "Google Translate" tambien, pero solo para verificando mis palabras y buscando para más yo no sé, lo me ayuda para no hecho muy mal, pero sí yo fallo tú sientes libre a correcto a mi.

lo sonidos comó tú has estudiado para mucho años y tú tienes mucho conocimiento de idiomas, ¿puedo preguntar como años tú tienes? estoy viente y cinco.

yo casi comenzo ambas Español y German unos tiempos pero no hice, y yo no tuvo que. ahora yo deseo un poco yo hice comenzo , pero ahora, lo estoy disfrutar aprende con DuoLingo y lo me gusta. (palabras en itálico como esta, yo tuve mirar alto)

Good! I am using "Google Translate" also, but only for checking my words and searching for more I don't know, it helps me to not make as many mistakes, but if I fail (or make a big mistake) feel free to correct me.

it sounds like you have studied or many years and you have much knowledge about languages, may I (is "puedo que" more like "may I" I think I read somewhere that it is..) ask how old you are? I'm twenty five.

I almost started both Spanish and German a few times ("unos" is like a few right? I think I seen someone use it that way, otherwise I guess I should have used.. algunos ) but I never did, and I never had to. now I wish a little that I had started. but now I enjoy learning with DuoLingo and I like it

(words in Italic like this, I had to look up)

some of my English translation sounds a little unnatural to me because I'm trying to be a little to literal about my translations and I'm limited in my Spanish vocab so I'm kind of struggling to say much.. pero estoy tratando... Gracias para hablando con mí (=

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español: A veces yo también uso el traductor pero prefiero no depender de él.

Tengo quince años, a lo mejor esperabas estar hablando con alguien un poco mayor, jajaja. He estudiado francés por 3 años e inglés por... no lo sé, pero como dije antes es un poco repetitivo. Por ejemplo todos los años tengo que repasar el verbo "to be".

Yo también estoy intentando aprender alemán por mi cuenta, pero es un poco difícil, al menos para mi, a lo mejor es porque no tengo ninguna razón para aprenderlo. Pero estoy de acuerdo contigo, Duolingo es una buena herramienta para aprender idiomas de una manera divertida.

No te preocupes por eso! si sigues practicando aprenderás más vocabulario. Me gusta hablar contigo y con esta conversación también estoy mejorando mi inglés, nos estamos ayudando el uno al otro!

English: Sometimes I use the translator too but I prefer not to depend on it.

I'm fifteen, maybe you expected to be talking with someone a bit older than me, hahaha. I've studied French for three years and English for... I don't know, but as I said before it's all a bit repetitive. For example every year I have to go over the verb "to be". (Yes, the question is with "puedo" but you don't have to say "tú" because you have already conjugate the verb "tener" and it goes without saying (Is this expression correct?) so the answer is: "¿Puedo preguntarte cuantos años tienes?").

I'm trying to learn German by my own too, but it's a bit difficult, at least for me, maybe it's because I have no reason to learn it. But I agree with you, Duolingo is a good tool for learn languages in a fun way. (Umh... in this case it doesn't fit well... maybe "unas pocas veces", "un par de veces" or "algunas veces" would be better).

Don't worry about that! if you continue practicing you'll learn more vocabulary. I like to talk with you and with this conversation I'm improving my English too, we are helping each other!

Words in Italic:

• Pero solo para verificando mis palabras: in this case is "verificar".

• Lo me ayuda para no hecho muy mal: "ayuda" is well written but the phrase does not make sense. It's better "me ayuda a no hacerlo tan mal".

• Tú tienes mucho conocimiento de idiomas: it's okay but it sounds a bit strange, maybe "tú tienes muchos conocimientos sobre idiomas".

• Yo casi comenzo: it's "comienzo".

• Pero no hice: "pero no lo hice".

P.S. German is "alemán" in Spanish.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

sí, no quiero depender tampoco, pero tú eres mi primera .. amigo del bolígrafo (¿lo es correcto?) y no quiero muy mucho fallos en la ortografía

posiblemente, pero todo es bien. estoy un niño, o yo adivino un hombre joven ahora.. ¿y tú? ¿eres una niña or un niño? si tú no te importa mi preguntar, no quiero ser grosero.

cuándo yo comienzo aprender Español con DuoLingo, mi hermano comienzo Alemán, pero yo no sé como mucho él aprender hasta ahora..

Gracias. yo tambien estoy capaz ayuda con tu Ingles, aunque tú ya aparecer saber mucho. es bien podemos ambas ayuda una y el otra.

¿cómo puedes hacer las palabras audaz?

English:

yes, I don't want to depend on it either, but you are my first pen-pal and I don't want very many spelling mistakes.

possibly, but it is alright. (or, "everything is fine") I am a boy, or I guess a young man now.. what about you? are you a girl or a boy? if you don't mind my asking, I don't want to be rude.

when I started learning Spanish my brother started German, but I don't know how much he has learned so far..

thank you. I am also able to help with your English, although you already appear to know a lot. it is good that we can both help each other.

how do you make the words bold? (they are lot easier to pick out over the italic ones)

yes, that is the correct expression. so the polite way to ask is "¿puedo preguntarte cuantos años tienes?" gracias, yo lo preguntarse que fue

"for learn" isn't quite right, you could say "to learn new languages"or "for learning new languages" either one of those sounds more natural ok, so is the word "tiempo" only used for time like on a clock? and "veces" used more like how many times that something happens?

hehe and that is my English leaking through... "for verifying" used over "for to verify"

I was struggling to figure out how to make that sentence work with "ayuda"..

"comienzo" ahh, see there is one of those spelling mistakes that I would have caught had I typed that into the translator.

hehe, I only remember hearing "alemán" a few times before and I didn't remember seeing it, so I thought it was one of those simi silent "G" things.. oops.. (=

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español: Sí, es una gran ayuda cuando quieres corregir faltas de ortografía y no, aunque esa sea la traducción literal nosotros no usamos esa expresión, creo que se traduce por "amigo por correspondencia".

No pasa nada, soy una niña :)

A mi me encanta el alemán, ¡espero que tu hermano esté aprendiendo tanto como tú!

¡De nada y gracias! Me alegra que puedas entender sin problemas mi inglés, nunca había tenido una conversación tan larga en este idioma.

Las palabras en negrita se hacen poniendo dos asteriscos a cada lado de la palabra.

English: Yes, it's a great help when you want to correct mistakes! You are my first pen-pal too.

No problem, I'm a girl :)

I love German, I hope your brother is learning as much as you!

You're welcome and thanks! I'm glad you can understand my English without problems, I had never had (Had twice?) such a long conversation in this language.

Bold words are made by placing two asterisks on each side of the word.

Yes it is, and thank you for the correction I have trouble differentiating "to" and "for" or "on", "in", and "at" I always confuse them.

Yes, the word "tiempo" is used to express the idea of time in a more abstract way, I don't know how to explain that... for example: "¿Cuánto tiempo ha pasado desde que nos conocimos?" "Han pasado 8 años.". And "veces" is used when you want to say how many times you have done something, for example "He limpiado la casa 2 veces". If you want to ask for the time you have to use "hora": "¿Qué hora es?" "Son las ocho y media". And "tiempo" is also "weather": "¿Qué tiempo hace?" "Está lloviendo".

Hahaha, at the end we fail in the same things.

Yes, it's a bit complicated sentence.

I didn't want to tell you not to use the translator! It is a great help.

Words in italic

• fallos en la ortografía: it's okay.

• o yo adivino un hombre joven ahora: in this case it's better to use "supongo".

• si tú no te importa mi preguntar: "si no te importa mi pregunta" or "si no te importa que (yo) pregunte".

• no quiero ser grosero: it's okay.

• ¿cómo puedes hacer las palabras audaz?: sorry, but I couldn't understand this sentence until I looked at the English translation. "Bold words" is traslated as "palabras en negrita".

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Español

creo yo hecho una falta, yo tuvo un amiga por correspondencia en la pasada, pero tú eres mi primera amiga por correspondencia de extranjero, o amiga por correspondencia

en Español.

no preguntarme porque, pero pienso supe tú eres una niña,

si, puedo comprender con soltura crei tú comunicarse mas en Ingles porque tú hables (o escribes) muy bien.

disculpe, crei es te como dice. yo suponer tengo que da "Google Translate" o "Spanishdict" el contexto si quiero correcto ayuda con palabras nuevas.. jejeje (woah! ..

Google translate says that "jejeje" is "lol" I can't believe it acutally says "lol" as the translation maybe "hehehe" but "lol"?!..)

¿como puedes hacer viñetas (o como tú llames los puntos en la fin de tu textos con mis palabras en italico)?

English

I believe I made a mistake, I have had a penpal in the past, but you are my first forgien pen-pal or Spanish pen-pal.

don't ask me why, but I thought you were a girl (just one of those feelings you get sometimes..)

yes, I can understand you with ease. I thought you comunicated more in English because you speak (or type) very well.

Excuse me, I thought that was how it is said, I suppose I have to give "Google Translate" or "Spanishdict" context if I want correct help with new words.. hehehe

how do you make the bullet-points (or whatever you call the dots in the end of your texts with my italic words..)?

no problem, heh I know how that goes, for me it's been quien, quiere, cuanto, quiero, and a couple others that are similar that I can't remember right now, but I'm finally starting to get them all figured out!

alright, thank you! I'll have to remember "veces" I know I learned it in the lessons and when you said it I remembered it, but it had slipped my mind when I was posting..

I suppose we all fail at the same things because those are the hard parts of learning a language.. supongo nosotros todos falta en la mismo cosas porque.. esos son los partes dura de estudiando una idioma..

don't worry you didn't scare me off the translator, I am still using it, I just didn't type that part into the translator for one reason or another.. hehe

response to words in italic good to see that I get some right hehe.

supongo, hey! I just learned a new word!

ahh, ok so the no goes before the subjective pronoun. I'll try to remember that.

heh, yeah I guess I should have let spanishdict know I was talking about font and now how brave a person is..

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español

Yo he hablado con algunos hablantes nativos de inglés pero nunca había tenido una conversación tan larga como esta y la mayoría de las veces tampoco con gente que estuviera aprendiendo español.

Supongo que por el nombre o mi forma de hablar.

¡Gracias! Me alegra que pienses eso. La verdad es que soy mejor escribiendo. Cuando veo películas en inglés tengo que poner subtítulos también en inglés (con los subtítulos en español siento que no estoy prestando atención al inglés oral) para entender de que están hablando.

No pasa nada, como la gente dice se aprende de los errores. Y es gracioso que lo traduzca por "lol", supongo que "Lots Of Laughs" es literalmente "Un montón de risas".

¿Estes ":" ? Se les llama "dos puntos". Supongo que el teclado inglés es diferente al español.

En el español:

En el inglés (supongo que en este también tienes que pulsar las dos teclas al mismo tiempo pero no lo sé):

English

I have talked with some native English speakers but I never had such a long conversation and most of the time they were with people who were not learning Spanish.

I guess for my name or the way I talk.

Thank you! I'm glad you think so. The truth is that I'm better typing. When I see English movies I have to use subtitles in English (with Spanish ones I feel that I'm not paying attention to the oral English) to understand what they are talking about.

No problem, as people say you learn from mistakes. And it's funny it translates it as "lol" I guess "Lots Of Laughs" is literally "Un montón de risas.

These ":"? They are called "dos puntos". I suppose that the English keyboard is different from Spanish but I guess that you have to press both buttons simultaneously.

It's great that you already can figured them out and you learned a new word! "Suponer" (the infinitive form of "supongo") looks like "suppose".

I agree. / Estoy de acuerdo.

Words in italic (in Spanish is "palabras en cursiva")

• pero pienso supe tú eres una niña: pero pienso (or "creo") que supe que tú (you can omit it or not, as you want) eras una niña.

• puedo comprender con soltura: nothing to correct.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Español:

lo yo pienso seria más dura hablar con ellos porque puedes solo hablas en ingles y ellos no lo pueden tratar explicar en Español.. (pero, supongo no estoy muy bien con eso tambien.. ¡pero puedo tratando!)

¡si! supongo tienes razon.

¡De nada! yo sé que tú dices, estoy la mismo, porque yo no sé suficiente a comprender todo las palabras de los películas y no puedo recuerdo las palabras yo sé con suficiente velocidad la mayoría de la veces. tambien como tú, si yo utilizar los subtitulos en Ingles con palabras Español no puedo oido las palabras con soltura, porque no tengo suficiente concentracíon del Español..

la yo siempre creo ser "laugh out loud" pero supongo es cerca la mismo cosa..

estes ":" se les llama "colon(s)" en Ingles.. este es que yo quiero dice

http://snag.gy/20nmq.jpg

English

I think it would be harder to talk with them because you can only speak in English and they can't try to explain it in Spanish.. (but, I suppose I'm not much better with that either.. but I can try!)

Yes! I believe you are right.

no problem! I know what you mean, I am the same way, because I don't know enough to understand all the words of the movies and I can't remember the words I do know fast enough most of the time. also like you, if I use the English subtitles with Spanish words I can't hear the words with ease, because I don't have enough concentration on the Spanish.. (that feels a bit clumsy in English.. maybe I should re-phrase it as "when I use the English subtitles with Spanish audio I have a hard time focusing on the audio and find myself reading the English text instead")

I've always known it as (or believed it to be) "laugh out loud" but I suppose it is about the same thing..

these ":" are called "colon(s)" in English.. this is what I'm mean to describe.. (the picture.. P.S. I didn't know how to do that either and had to figure that one out also hehe.)

responder a la palabras en cursivas:

does it make me sound stupid to leave the extra "tú" in there? sometimes I feel like I could omit it but I don't want to be misunderstood and it also helps me keep it straight in my mind but I don't want to sound stupid.. well, more stupid than I do anyway hehehe (=

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español

Sí, aunque nunca hablé mucho con ellos, sólo algunas palabras como "Hi" o "What's up?" y no te preocupes, tu español muy bien, sobre todo si acabas de empezar.

A veces yo tampoco conozco algunas palabras pero paro la película y busco la traducción, es otra de las razones por las que me gusta ver las películas con subtítulos. De todas formas supongo que aunque las veas con subtítulos en inglés te ayudarán con la pronunciación española.

Oh, no lo sé pero sí, supongo que es más o menos lo mismo.

Cuando dijiste "al final" pensé que querías decir estos: ":" perdón. Los hago poniendo una cruz delante de cada frase, cuando los publicas por alguna razón se convierten en puntos.

Tienes que leer esto: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/9386889 lo explica todo.

English

Yes, although I never talked a lot with them, only a few words like "Hi" or "What's up?" and don't worry your Spanish is fine, especially if you are starting.

Sometimes I also don't know some words but I stop the movie and I search the translation, that's another reason why I like to watch them with subtitles. Anyway I guess that although you see them with English subtitles they'll help a bit with the Spanish pronunciation. (I'm sure that whatever I write in English sounds clumsy, hahaha).

Oh, I don't know but yes, I guess it's more or less the same.

When you said "in the end" I thought you meant these ":" sorry. I do them placing a cross before each sentence, when I publish the comment for some reason they become dots.

You have to read this: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/9386889 it explains everything.

This time I don't have nothing to say about the words in italics. And no, you don't sound stupid at all!!! A Spanish wouldn't use it in this case but whenever you have doubts it's better to use them.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Español

gracias, estoy tratar, pero algunas veces lo me siento como no hecho progresar mucho. pero creo recientemente yo he aprendido mucho , o en la menos lo me siento como eso..

jeje si yo paro la pelicula por todos las palabras yo no comprender, no yo podria terminar una pelicula por muchas horas jeje.

yo no veo con subtitulos Inglés, yo tratar a veo con subtitulos Español o sin todos subtitulos, pero lo me gusta ver peliculas (o espectáculos) yo sé bien o peliculas vi recientemente en Inglés.. no perdón necesites, ¡lo es todo bien!

<h1>¡MUCHAS GRACIAS!</h1>

¡lo es exactamente qué necesité! ¡tú eres la bomba! (yo no sé si tú sé ese idioma, lo es como dice muy bueno o impresionate o algunas cosa como eso.)

English

Thank you, I try, but sometimes it feels like I'm not making much progress. but I believe that recently I have been learning a lot, or at least it feels that way..

hehe, if I stopped the movie for all the words I didn't understand I could never finish a movie for many hours hehe..

I don't watch with English subtitles, I try to watch with Spanish ones or without any subtitles, but I like to watch movies (or shows) that I know well or movies that I have seen recently in English...

no need for apologies. (¡tú eres mucha ayuda por mi!)

<h1>THANK YOU VERY MUCH!</h1>

that is exactly what I needed! you are the bomb! ( I don't know if you know that idiom, it is like saying very great or awesome or something like that.)

in English the double negative of "I don't have nothing to say" sounds a bit odd, it's understandable but more like a poor gramar slang that some people would use (or it would be more like saying you have everything to say about it), but "I don't have anything to say" is much better.

en Inglés el double negativa de "I don't have nothing to say" sonido a una poca extraña, es comprensible, pero es mas comó jerga gramaticá pobre utilizar por algunas personas (o lo sería como dice tú tiene todo a dice sobre lo), pero "I don't have anything to say" es mucho mejore.

words in this I knew but needed to look up the right conjugation

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español

¡Yo creo que has progresado mucho!

Sí, es un poco aburrido. Me pasa lo mismo cuando leo un libro. Encuentro muchas palabras raras pero muchas veces no busco su significado por esa razón.

Es una gran ayuda ver la película en tu propio idioma antes. Yo por ahora no me atrevo a ver películas sin subtítulos, a lo mejor algún día.

¡De nada! Nosotros también usamos esa expresión.

Gracias por la corrección. Creo que estudié esa regla pero es un poco confuso porque en español solemos usar la doble negación.

English

I think you've progressed a lot!

Yes, it would be a bit boring. The same thing happens to me when I read a book, I find lots of strange words but many times I don't seek their meaning for that reason.

It's a great help watching the film in your own language before. By the moment I don't dare (or daren't?) to see movies without subtitles, maybe some day.

You're welcome!!! We use that idiom too.

Thanks for the correction. I think I've studied that rule but it's a bit confusing because in Spanish we usually use the double negative.

Corrections

• Yo no podría (the pronoun is placed before the "no")

• ¡Es exactamente lo que necesitaba! ("necesité" and "necesitaba" are past forms but "necesité" is from the "pretérito perfecto simple" and "necesitaba" is from the "pretérito imperfecto". I'm not sure of what's the difference between them, there should be many pages that explain it. In this case, it just sounds better with "necesitaba".

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Español

gracias por creer eso.

sí, es la razón que lo me gusta tener el mismo libro en Inglés cuando leo en Español, pero lo yo utilizar menos y menos todo el tiempo. es muy... alentador.

sí lo es. algunas veces, cuando utilizo esos subtítulos, veo algunas diferentes con las palabras en los subtitulos y los palabras hablado. es sorprendente ver eso, porque lo demuestra como mucho comprendes de ambos la idioma escriben y hablen .

¡muy bien! ahora yo sé.

jeje, y en Inglés la doble negación puede ser un positivo.. jeje algunas veces lo es un juego con nosotros. si tú dice "I don't know what you are talking about" o "I don't don't, don't know what you are talking about" lo tiene el contrario significado. pares de "don't" son realemente "do" (el positivo) y impares son "don't" (el negativo) y si tú dice lo con velocidad es muy confuso y engañoso mientras hablando la verdad. eso y es molesto.. jeje

English

Thank you for that.

yes, that is the reason that I like to have the same book in English when I read in Spanish, but I use it less and less all the time. it is very encrraging.

yes it is. sometimes when, I use those I see some differences with the words in the subtitles and the spoken words, it is surprising to see that because it demonstrats how much you understand of both the writen and spoken language.

very good! now I know.

hehe, and in English the double negative can be a positive.. hehe sometimes it is a game with us. if you say "I don't know what you are talking about" or, "I don't don't know what you are talking about" it has the opisite meaning. even numbers of "don't" are really "do" (the positive) and odd are "don't" (the negative) and if you say it fast it is very confusing and misleading while speaking the truth. that and it's annoying.. hehe

responce to corrections

oops, I guess I had that one backwards somehow I thought it was the other way around..

heh, I don't feel so bad about that one porque eso es la siguiente leccíon en mi lista o arbol hehe

corrections

• "by the moment" is understandable but a bit odd, the normal phrase is "for the moment" or "at the moment" or you can add the word "being" to the end to get "for the moment being" o la mismo por el segundo "at the moment being"

• "I don't dare" sounds fine, and I don't believe that "daren't" is very common but I don't see anything wrong with using it (although my spell-check doesn't like it, so it's probably considered poor grammar..) .. another way it could be said it is "I dare not try to watch"

3 years ago

winter.morning

Español

Sí, siempre leo libros que he leído previamente en español pero desafortunadamente no dispongo de ambos libros a la vez.

Nunca me ha pasado, tengo que seguir practicando mi inglés oral.

Es bonito encontrar una expresión extraña como esta usada en dos países diferentes.

Que desastre, es muy confuso, hahaha. Espero que nadie intente confundirme con eso porque no entendería nada.

English

Yes, I always read books that I've read in Spanish previously but unfortunately I don't have both books at once.

It has never happened to me, I need to keep practicing my oral English.

It's nice to find a strange expression like that used in two different countries.

What a mess, it's very confusing, hahaha. I hope no one tries to confuse me with that because I wouldn't understand anything.

Response to corrections

• Buff, those "at", "by", "for", "to", etc. again.

• Okay, I think I abbreviated "dare not" as "daren't" hahaha.

Corrections

• Es sorprendente ver eso, porque lo demuestra como mucho comprendes de ambos la idioma escriben y hablen. : Es sorprendente ver eso, porque demuestra lo mucho que comprendes de ambos, el idioma escrito y el hablado (o cuanto comprendes del idioma cuando lo escriben y cuando lo hablan).

• Algunas veces lo es un juego con nosotros. : Algunas veces es un juego para nosotros.

• Lo tiene el contrario significado. : Tiene el significado contrario.

• y si tú dice lo con velocidad es muy confuso y engañoso mientras hablando la verdad. : y si tú lo dices (o usted lo dice) con velocidad es muy confuso y engañoso al hablar de verdad.

You have to be careful with "lo". Sometimes "it" disappears, for example "it has the opposite meaning" is "tiene el significado contrario" without "lo" and sometimes it's placed elsewhere, for example "and if you say it fast" and "y si lo dices rápido". I don't know if there are any rules for this, I guess it's pretty confusing.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/CyrileneKe

Hola, estoy aprendiendo Español en duolingo. Necesito alguna a practicar con. Puedo ayudarme? Puedo te ayuda con inglés.

1 year ago

vcel10

Congratulations!

Try extensive reading. Read in Spanish more often but don't stop while reading to look up every word. The impulse to understand everything is strong, but try to go through a book, or article and just read through it.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ketoacidosis
ketoacidosis

One thing that helps me a lot with doing this is using an audiobook along with the physical book when possible. You connect the spoken language with the written language, get listening practice for the flow of the language, and you're more encouraged to continue going through the text instead of stopping at every unknown word.

Idea from Fluent Forever, Gabriel Wyner.

3 years ago

vcel10

¡YES!

I'm currently reading/listening to "Cuando Era Puertorriqueña" written by Esmeralda Santiago. Her reading/performance is really great because the book is her memoir, her biography.

There are several readings of famous childrens books in Spanish on YouTube. They help tremendously. Combining reading and listening is truly the best of both worlds.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

I may have to try and find an audiobook that I'm interested in to try that idea! I have tried watching my favorite movies (the ones I practically know by heart and can quote many lines from) in Español and found them rather enjoyable and found myself picking up phrases from them! (heh, even if some of them were constructed with words I already knew and could have thought up before listening to them..) <sub>shrugs</sub>

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ketoacidosis
ketoacidosis

I haven't tried looking for audio books in Spanish yet, but with French, it isn't too difficult to find the audiobook recordings and the pdf files of the Harry Potter series.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

Thank you!

that's how I got towards the end, I started out looking up a lot of words and my vocab was (and still pretty much is) lacking enough that I'm not able to gather meanings from most of the words from context because I didn't/don't have enough context, but towards the end I got to the point where I was reading a full page or two or a whole (short) chapter and while not understanding the whole thing I was starting to gather words from context and allow myself to skip over some of those details . knowing I was missing something but getting the bigger picture understood, than going back and picking out the details and than re-read it once more the next day or after the weekend and I would pick up more of those details that I had missed the first time through it! (= also there was an interview with the author in the back and a recipe in the back of the Spanish copy that wasn't in the English and I read that and understood much of it (and I didn't pull out a dict to try to translate what I didn't understand at the time..)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Elagui
Elagui

I have a few escalofrios books myself - El Fantasma Aullador and Mutacion Fatal, they are The Barking Ghost and Why I'm Afraid of Bees, respectively. When I went through them I learned a lot of new words. In English I have Monster Blood and it's sequel because they're my favorite of them all.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

that's awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the books. I really enjoy reading them because I grew up learning to read English with them and they always gave me enjoyment to read.. Monsterblood 2 is awesome! one of my all time favorites! have you read number 3? and now there's a number 4 that I got when I got the Spanish books, but the monster blood is blue?! and the Spanish book that I got that I've never read before is "sangre de monstruo para desayunar" MONSTER BLOOD FOR BREAKFAST! hehe, I'm a little excited for when I can read that one and actually understand it without having the English copy in hand (=

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Elagui
Elagui

There used to be a program at my school - Book It, that would reward kids for reading a lot of books with a free personal pan pizza. So I read a lot of Goosebumps and Ani-morphs books. To this day I prefer shorter reads - it felt like it took forever to get through Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings books. Monster Blood has to be green! I did notice that in Spanish some of the Goosebump books were Escalofríos and others were Pesadillas - I don't know why they marketed them differently, but that might have to do with some of the changes; copyright and all.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RebeccaBooth

The Goosebump books are marked differently (Escalofríos and Pesadillas) depending on where they were published. Escalofríos is geared toward Latin American Spanish and Pesadillas is geared for Spain Spanish.

3 years ago

Mr.Smilie

huh, I remember hearing about book it, but I was homeschooled so my memories of Goosebumps include learning to read out loud with my mother and brother. yeah, I've had quite a few long reads that seemed to go on forever.. but there is the upside that they last a while and you don't have to wonder what to read next for a while.. hehe.. I mean I can go through a goosebumps in just a few days if I read fast for an hour or so in the morning.. I know! that's what I was thinking, I was like "WAIT A SECOND... BLUE?!" that was almost a turn off for me to get the book but I wanted to know the story behind the change.. I noticed that too when I was looking to find them, I noticed that the pesadillas seemed to be harder to find or more expensive for the most part and I wonder if it's not a regional type thing or something along those lines, but it could be copyright for sure too.. (the blue monsterblood change wasn't in the Spanish books but rather in the "monster blood 4" book, in case you misunderstood what I was saying..)

3 years ago